Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's not the way things ought to be

I wrote this post back in March, but God brought it back to my mind this morning. I love this poem by Jill Briscoe and it really resonates with my heart this morning. I hope it speaks to you in some way too.
Have you ever thought about how different this world is than God planned? As God created the heavens and the earth, the sun and the moon, the animals and creatures to roam the earth, Adam and Eve; each stage of His magnificent creation God saw that it was good.

Man and woman in a beautiful garden fashioned by God's own hand. He would even come walking in the garden in the cool of the day, just enjoying all that He had made. Sweet fellowship with the ones He loved. It was truly paradise.
What a difference a day makes as Eve is deceived and takes a bite. Adam also partakes. Their lives are forever changed as God banishes them from the garden forever. Lives can be changed in just a moment - forever.


It's not the way things ought to be
And yet the way things are,
I look above and see a void
And not one single star.
Then in the day the blue is grey,
The winds of change are stilled,
My heart it seems
Must die to dreams
I'll never see fulfilled.

It's not the way things ought to be
And Yet the way things are,
Then God walks in,
Forgives the sin
And lights my evening star.
He tames my rebel doubts with love,
Rebukes my frantic fears,
Then asks my why
I sigh and cry
And counts my many tears.

One day the things that "ought to be"
Will be the way He planned,
So I should live
And freely give
My hopes into His hand.
I'll live in light of ever-ness
With eyes upon the Throne,
He'll give me grace
To run the race
Till I am safely home.

- Jill Briscoe -
From the book, "The Deep Place Where Nobody Goes"

Oh how I look forward to the day when things will be as they "ought to be". One day, in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet, we will see Jesus, face to face. We will fall on our faces before Him saying,

"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being." Revelation 4:11

But until that day Lord, I place all of my hopes is in Your hands. My eyes are upon Your throne, fixed upon You until my race is run!

8 comments:

Beth Herring said...

That is beautiful! You are a blessing my friend.

Yolanda said...

I look forward to that day as well friend.

Heather C said...

"So I should live
And freely give
My hopes into His hand.
I'll live in light of ever-ness
With eyes upon the Throne,
He'll give me grace
To run the race
Till I am safely home."

This is my prayer for today.

Unknown said...

Looking forward to that day!

Jackie said...

Wonderful post!! Oh yes, soon and very soon the day is fast approaching and we will behold Him! Glory to God!

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

Nana Jul said...

Amen!! Thank God for His grace!!
Great poem! Great post! Thanks Lisa!

Lisa said...

As always you nail the truth of the text!
Love you sweetheart....Randy

Anonymous said...

Amen.
I needed this tonight.
~ linda