Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me.
David knew his God - intimately. As a young boy tending his fathers sheep, he think of David playing his harp and singing praises to God. It was on those Judean hillsides that he learned how to pray and listen to God. Alone for long periods of time, he learned to rely on God and God alone. When a wild animal would attack, David would call upon the Lord for strength and deliverance.
God was using that time preparing him for what He had prepared for him. When David was 15, the Prophet Samuel would anoint him as the next King of Israel while Saul was still on the throne. And yet, it would be another 15 years before he actually ascended to the throne.
What happened during that time, more of the same. Conflict, betrayal, running, separation, loneliness, disappointment, battles, bloodshed, broken promises (not from God), heartache and deception were all a part of those 15 years of training. And yet, God used them all to mold David into a man after Gods own heart.
- You'll never know God as Lord, until you've humbled your heart in submission to Him in prayer. He is the one true God.
- You'll never know God is your Rock, until you've needed him to help you stand!
- You'll never know Him as your Loving God, until you've understood the sacrifice Jesus made on the cross - just for you.
- You'll never know God as your Fortress, your Stronghold, until you've had no where to turn, and He scooped you up and into His loving arms.
- You'll never know Him as your Deliverer, until you have found yourself totally powerless and reached out to Him to do what only He can do.
- You'll never know Him as your Shield, until you've been attacked by a brutal enemy.
- You'll never know Him as your Refuge, until you've found yourself without hope.
Like David, I pray that nothing in my life will be wasted; but instead used to draw me closer to the God I love.