I get up, at 4:45 and begin to check emails, read a few blogs, glance at the news. It seems as if there is nothing but bad news. I'm tired and my head begins to hurt. Throughout the day God keeps tugging at my heart say, "Cast all of your cares on me. I love you! They are not yours to carry!" And yet, my I can't seem to get out of the rut that I've become stuck in. Conflict, hurt, death, sorrow sadness, and more bad news.
By the middle of the afternoon, my head was pounding. I signed off from work early and headed to be to just lay down for a little while. What a day!
As I lay there, trying to close my eyes and get some rest, it hit me like a ton of bricks! I know why today was so different. I know what I forgot.
I'm a visual learner. If I can visualize something, see it with my eyes, it just seems to click with me. Several weeks ago I began something new in my prayer time. As I pray in the morning I actually visualize myself putting on the full armor of God.
I start with the 5 defensive weapons.
- The helmet of salvation placed firmly on my head. This is meant to protect my head, guard my mind which is the greatest battlefield for a believer.
- The breastplate of righteousness which is meant to guard my heart from a fatal blow. Covered by the righteousness of Jesus, I can withstand the slanderous accusations of the deceiver
- The belt of truth tied snugly around my waist. The belt is the foundational piece of ta warriors armor just as the truth of the word of God is the foundation I have built my life upon.
- My feet fitted with the readiness that comes gospel of peace. The peace that only God can give protects me as I walk through the battlefield of life. It will keep the enemy under my feet and out of my face.
- My shield of faith being fully exercised. God is who He says that He is. He can do what He says He can do. I am who God says that I am. I will walk in faith believing, all the days of my life.
There's one more piece to the armor of God and it is the one offensive weapon that we have:
- The Sword of the Spirit which is the Word of God! When Jesus was tempted he struck back with the Word of God. When we speak God's word according to his will, there is no power in the universe who can withstand it!
How could I go out into the battlefield of life without being fully equipped? I did and my day proved why it's a mistake. I tried to do my Bible Study, but my mind was so full of other things I couldn't concentrate. Without the breastplate of righteousness every dart, every dagger of the enemy struck deep. When you're not guarding your head or your heart..., you're headed for trouble. You can't stand and fight when you're ducking and covering.I praise God that His mercies are new every day! Though yesterday was a mess.., today was a brand new day! Yesterdays mistakes serve to be today's lessons. A lesson on the necessity of being fully equipped and ready for battle today and every day!