Saturday, August 8, 2009

Soothing Waters


I just love being around water. A river, lake, ocean or stream - it makes no difference to me. There's just something so calming about the sound of moving water.

Last week we spent a few days in Sandusky, Ohio. Jonathan and his friend Sean had a great time at the amusement park known as the roller coaster capital of the world.

But for me, the time we spent walking and talking along the shore of Lake Erie just soothed my weary soul. I thought of this passage from the gospel of Luke:
24The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Master, Master, we're going to drown!" He got up and rebuked the wind and the raging waters; the storm subsided, and all was calm. 25"Where is your faith?" he asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, "Who is this? He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey him." Luke 8:24-26

Have you ever felt that way? Like the winds and waves of life were about to do you in? I want to remind you today that Jesus is the Master of the wind and raging waters. At his word, peace can come in and calm the storm of your life, no matter how big.

Who is this who commands even the winds and water and the obey Him? It's Jesus! He's Creator, Sustainer, Healer, Peace-giver, Master, Messiah, Savior and Lord. Call to Him. He's willing. He's waiting. He's listening.

5 comments:

Denise said...

Calming waters! My husband and I were just talking about our "need" to get to the beach. I could sit for hours and just listen to the waves crashing the beach and watching the tide flow in and out.

I love Sandusky. Spent many a summer there (most of my family lives there) - I have been to many amusement parks but none have come close to Cedar Point for me.

So glad you had restorative moments on the Lake.

Shalom,
Denise

Yolanda said...

Something I saw afresh while reading this was...where is your faith?


Lovingly,
Yolanda

Anonymous said...

Soothing waters have always done my heart and soul good as well, Lisa. The sound of a babbling brook, the constant motion of the waves coming ashore of the Pacific Ocean, the roll of water over rocks in a stream, and on and on.
Jesus is all and can do all, lest I forget! So many raging waters can set me upside down, yet Jesus is the One Who keeps my head above those waters and stills them, calms me.
Caring through Christ, ~ linda
P.S. I linked your Saturday's Steps of Faith to my Be Still Sunday post today. I hope you don't mind. It moved me yesterday.

Crown of Beauty said...

Yes, I love being by refreshing waters too!

Peace be still are the words we long to hear in our daily battles.

Thanks for visiting. Your kind comments are always appreciated.

Hope all is going well with your husband's new procedure on his back.

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Our youngest son visited Cedar Point while visiting our former youth pastor and his family in Ohio a few years ago. I'm glad your son didn't get stuck on the roller coaster like those people did somewhere yesterday that I saw on the news. I would have been in panic mode! ha

You have pretty much described my life right now.....waves crashing and throwing me here and there in a tizzy. I so NEED to be by some calming waters and get refreshed in the Lord!

Love the picture you posted!

Marilyn