I was reading 2 Samuel chapter 22 today and it has really stirred up my spirit. Battle after battle had really taken its toll on David. I wrote yesterday how he was to the point of total exhaustion.
But today is a new day! The battle is over and God had granted David and his men victory over all of their enemies.
In typical fashion, King David throws caution to the wind and really gets his praise on.
David sang to the LORD the words of this song when the LORD delivered him from
the hand of all his enemies and from the hand of Saul. He said: "The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation. He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—from violent men you save me. (vs. 1-4)
- You can't know Him as rock, if you have never found yourself sinking.
- You can't know Him as fortress, if you have never found yourself exposed and vulnerable.
- You can't know Him as deliverer, if you have never felt your backed into a corner with no place to run.
- You can't know Him as refuge, if you have never found yourself in trouble and alone.
- You can't know Him as shield, if you have never been under attack.
- You can't know Him as stronghold, if you have never lost your way.
- You can't know Him as savior, if you have not recognized you are lost without hope without Him.
Like David, MY God has been ALL of these to me and so much more. The more that I walk with Him, the more that I love Him. The more I know Him, the more I love Him.
If I could only describe God using one word today, that word would be faithful. He is faithful to love, faithful to comfort, faithful to forgive, faithful to encourage, faithful to provide, faithful to bless, faithful!