Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Calgon Take Me AWAY!

What do you do when you have "One of Those Days"? A day when it seems like you don't know whether to run, duck or look for cover. For me, today was that day.

Upon going to the Pharmacy I discovered that instead of putting $125 per pay into my health care flexible spending account to cover our out of pocket medical expenses, I filled out the form incorrectly in November and only put in $125 for the year. OUCH! That ones going to hurt!

I contacted Human Resources and was told that they had so many exceptions/corrections last week, they weren't making any more this week. The only way it could be done is with the HR managers approval. I earnestly prayed and drafted a very nice email, pleading my case and throwing myself at her mercy. The response - a firm no. She kindly told me that the mistake was mine and they were not making any more exceptions. I committed the matter to prayer again and responded, copying the Director of HR, asking if there was any way to get the decision reviewed. Again a firm no, this time from the Director.

Dinner time came and nothing but grumbles from the family. Why do you want to fix that? Can't we have something else? I modified the menu and ended up with pancakes with bacon and fried potatoes. It was something I could throw together on the fly and keep everyone happy. I asked Jonathan to mix the Bisquick for the pancakes while I got the other things going. When it was all said and done, the potatoes were mushy, the bacon was too crispy and the pancake batter was way too thick and once cooked tasted a bit strange.

Add to this some family drama, homework issues, general grumpiness, whining, complaining... you get the picture. You finally get to the point where you want to say, "Calgon take me away". I don't know about you, but that has never worked for me. Not once have ever blinked my eyes and found myself lying in a jacuzzi tub filled with very warm water and surrounded by bubbles without going in, rinsing out the tub and filling it myself.

How do we keep from living a life of "under the circumstances"? There is only one way that I know of. We must commit our hearts and keep our focus on the God who is "over all of my circumstances".
  • I do not have to live in defeat. Deuteronomy 20:4 For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.
  • I do not have to live in bondage. Psalm 118:5 In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free.
  • I do not have to live in fear. Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
  • I do not have to lose my temper. Psalm 29:11 The LORD will give strength unto his people; the LORD will bless his people with peace.

Did God know ahead of time that I was going to make a mistake on my form? Yes. Did I earnestly pray for Him to resolve the situation? Yes. Did everything turn out the way I had hoped? No. But one thing I do know, when I gave the situation to God in prayer I said these words, "Whether the answer is yes or the answer is no, I place this situation into your hands and I trust you with the results." I left it all on the altar of prayer. I know the Word of God. I know the heart of God.

I believe Romans 8:28 when it says, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

In just a few minutes I will go to bed, close my eyes and fall fast asleep. Tomorrow morning I'll be faced with another day of both opportunities and challenges. Many of the things I will encounter will be outside of my control. But this one thing I do know - My God has it all under His control and I trust Him whole-heartedly with the results.

One last thing - Happy Birthday Tawana!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how Deuteronomy 20:4 says "he goes WITH us to fight FOR us".
I can think back to days like this before God was in my life and how crazy I would have been. Now, Praise the LORD, like you I can go to bed and know that in the relm of things this is the little stuff and He is ALWAYS in control.
Tomorrow will be a new day.