Everything was going great! The garage was now cleaned out with both the car and the van inside. This was nothing short of a miracle! But where was Jonathan? I thought he was behind me when I headed out of the shed for the last time. Hmmmmm. Around the house, into the backyard I went. The shed door was still open. Hmmmmmm. I walked into the shed to find my son still up in the loft too terrified to trust in the ladder.
I tried holding the ladder. I tried coaxing him down. I tried going half way up and helping to direct his feet. I talked calmly talking to him (I even lost my temper with him). Nothing could get him down from that loft. This drama filled event lasted for what seemed like an eternity. There was absolutely NOTHING I could say, NOTHING I could do to convince him to trust me or the ladder. He was too gripped with fear.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. (Proverbs 3:4-6)
In my quiet time this afternoon God led me to these verses that I had committed to memory when I was much younger. I began to think about all of the areas of my life that I trust Him. Do I trust Him with my family - check. Do I trust Him with my job - check. Do I trust Him with my finances - check. Do I trust Him..., and the list went on. I began to search my heart to see if there was any area of my life that I holding back just a little piece for me.
My mind then went to the question, "How can you trust all of those things into His care?" The answer - because I know His heart. The word of God is so full of promises and assurances that give us a perfect look into the heart of God.
- Hebrews 13:5 "... Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
- Philippians 4:6-8 "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. "
- John 10:10 "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly."
- Isaiah 41:13 For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you.
- Psalm 55:22 Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall.
- Jeremiah 29:13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
I'd love to tell you that I was able to talk Jonathan down out of the loft, onto the ladder and safely to the ground that day. But I could never get him to believe that ladder that wiggled just a bit would do what I said it would do. In his mind, with his understanding, he was going to fall straight to the ground. It took his father coming out of the house and saying just the right words, in just the right way to get him off of the ledge. What I realize now is that Jonathan still didn't trust the ladder. But he trusted the voice of his father. He trusted the heart of his father and he knew that if he fell, he would catch him.
That's what faith is. Trusting in the heart of God, even when you cannot see His hand. Leaning on Him and believing that even if you fall He will catch you.
Lord teach me to trust you with all of my heart, not holding anything back...