Thursday, January 15, 2009

Feast or Famine

I titled this blog, "Feast or Famine". For periods of time throughout my life that title could be used to describe my walk with the Lord. Let me use a Psalm of King David's to give you a better picture of what I am talking about. Psalm 63 was probably written during the time when King David fled Jerusalem to evade his rebellious son Absalom who was plotting to take away his throne. David was hiding in the barren desert of Judah and was so lonely for home, longing to be with the ones he loved. He wrote,
1 O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water
Do you realize that you were created for Worship? You were created to have a meaningful, personal relationship with God? Deep within the heart of every man, woman and child, He placed the desire to love and be loved. It's that desire that draws us to Him. It's as if we all have a God-sized hole in our heart. Nothing else will satisfy. David describes this desire as a hunger and a thirst - his heart and soul yearned to spend time with his God, just to be in His presence.
2 I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. 3 Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. 4 I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name I will lift up my hands. 5 My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods; with singing lips my mouth will praise you.
How many times have you gone to church and the Pastor opened up his Bible and the words of his message were exactly what you needed to hear. Maybe it was a song that was sung during the Worship time that just really touched your heart. You couldn't get it off of your mind. It could be that during your own quiet time you really felt like God was speaking directly to your heart. It's as if you had been to a "spiritual feast" and the longing of your soul has been satisfied.

A relationship with God - a passionate pursuit - is like feeding my soul with rich, luscious foods every day. Do you realize that we were never meant to go on a "spiritual diet"? We were never meant to be satisfied with just eating crumbs underneath the banquet table. Why would I want to when God has a feast prepared just for my soul. He wants to spend time with me. He wants to lead me into a deeper love relationship than I have ever know.

Like David, when we have been to the banquet table we just can't help ourselves - our hearts are drawn to praise. Have you been on a spiritual diet lately? Have you been happy with just a crumb here or a morsel there? God wants to meet with you today! What are you waiting for? There is feast waiting for you at the banquet table of the King!

2 comments:

Beth Herring said...

Yes, Lord! We need to savor the sweetness of your Word and Feast on it. You gave me a much needed devotion tonight!

In Him,
Beth

Patty said...

Praise the Lord!

Thank you for sharing on God Stop Friday! I am so thankful that God provided for all your bills. I think through this rough time in our economy that God is showing his children he is and will always be our Source and meet all our needs, no matter what the economy looks like!

Have a great Friday and weekend!
Blessings,
Patty