Monday, June 8, 2009

Complete, Fulfilled, Done, Finished

What is your mission in life? Is it to be a good wife, a good mother, a good friend, a good employee? What is it?

When Jesus came to this earth He had one mission and one mission only; to do the will of His Father. He left the glory and majesty of Heaven to be born of a virgin, despised and rejected by the religious crown, battered and beaten by cruel men and hung on a Roman cross to die.

Why? Because He had a mission to complete. You see, since the fall of man in the garden of Eden, sin has separated man from God. Only through the the sacrifice of an animal, a substitute, could the sins of the people be forgiven. But the people didn't stop sinning so they had to continue sacrificing - over and over again.

But when Jesus gave His life on the cross of Calvary, He became the ultimate and final sacrifice for sin. What were his last words from the cross?
When he had received the drink, Jesus said, "It is finished." With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit. John 19:30
What was finished? The Greek word is "τελέω" which means to pay, to complete, to fulfil. What was finished? The full penalty for my sin and yours was paid. With His death, the complex sacrificial system was ended because the perfect, sinless Son of God took all sin - yours and mine - upon Himself so that we may go free.

You know what else? Satan was defeated at Calvary. FINISHED! Why do we so often live our lives like he has power over us? Why do we say things like, "the devil made me do it".

DEFEATED! That's what satan is! Defeated he will always be. It was FINISHED that day at Calvary when the Son of God laid down His life for fallen man!
I do not trust in my bow,
my sword does not bring me victory;
but you give us victory over our enemies,
you put our adversaries to shame.
In God we make our boast all day long,
and we will praise your name forever.
Selah Psalm 44:6-8
What is your mission?
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:18-20
Jesus fulfilled His. How about you and me? We have the authority. Whatever whatever we bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever we loose on earth will be loosed in heaven. We have His complete Word - the Bible and are fully equipped for everything He asks us to do. What is stopping us?

If Jesus came back today, would we be able to say, "Mission Accomplished"?

7 comments:

Beth Herring said...

Awesome word my friend. I want to be found faithful. I want to be found completing the work that He started in me.

Great post!

LisaShaw said...

Powerful truth:

"You know what else? Satan was defeated at Calvary. FINISHED! Why do we so often live our lives like he has power over us? Why do we say things like, "the devil made me do it"."

Blessings and peace dear sister!

Tea with Tiffany said...

I want to live with the ever present mindset to do the will of the Father!

:)

Great post.
Have a great day!

Joan Carr said...

I have been thinking along those same terms lately what have I done for HIM since He saved me, which is most of my adult life. The more of Him I see the more of myself I see that I don't like.

Anonymous said...

Mission...did I have one? Seems like I think this way all too often. Thank you for this instilling reminder and lesson. He has a plan for each one of us and it certainly is filled with meaning. I am to remember that! Thanks, ~ linda

Yolanda said...

Oh, I wonder also, if Christ came back today would we look defeated? Or the Victors that Christ died for you and I to be, oh my!!!


Awesome writing Lisa!!!

Love,
Yolanda

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

This is one of my weaknesses.....not finishing things that I start! I hate being like that! Pray that I will determine in my heart to get some projects finished that I have started and set aside! Especially spiritual related ones!

Marilyn