Monday, May 18, 2009

Atmospheric Change


Do you realize that just by walking into a room you cause the atmosphere of that room to change?

Bet you didn't know you had that much power!

Think about it.., your boss, your friend, your family member enters the room in a really foul mood (it's always them and never us.., right?). What kind of a change does that cause in you? Do you avoid them, try to see what's wrong? What is your response? By their very entrance into the room, they changed the atmosphere.

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. (Matthew 5:14-15)
As a Christ follower, I carry the light of the Lord Jesus with me every where I go. By carrying His light into a dark room, I can immediately change the atmosphere of that room. In fact, it is my responsibility to allow His light to shine through me no matter what my situation may be.

How seriously do I take that responsibility? On a day when things are going my way - not a problem. But how about when things are going badly? Let's face it. Life is hard. We don't always feel like Mary Poppins dancing and singing around the house. Sometimes it takes more than a spoonful of sugar to help the medicine go down.

How can you change the atmosphere in those difficult situations?

  • If you've messed up - show those around you how a Christ follower responds to messing up. Take responsibility and do the right thing.
  • If you've heard bad news - show those around you how a Christ follower responds to bad news. Choose faith over fear.
  • If you've hurt someone - show those around you how a Christ follower responds when hurting someone. Ask forgiveness and seeks to make things right.
  • If you've been hurt, show those around you how a Christ follower forgives. Forgive even if they never ask you to.
What our world needs to see is that Jesus really is the only answer for all that this life has to offer. My friend, my family, my neighbors, my co-workers are all watching to see how my light shines regardless of the situation. How can I carry this huge responsibility? Where does the power come from?

You are from God, little children, and you have conquered them, because the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)
I am able, because God is able!

How will you change the atmosphere today? Let the love of Jesus shine through, no matter what comes your way!

3 comments:

Leslie said...

You know the saying "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"? This is so true. If I'm in a bad mood, it reverberates throughout our entire family! When I'm "in a mood", I have to remind myself that I need to be "the light". I need to lift everyone up rather than take everyone down with me!

Great post!

Crown of Beauty said...

This is so true. Jesus said we let our light shine before men that tney may know God our Father.

May it be that as His followers and disciples, we will never allow ourselves to be sucked into the environment that we often find ourselves in, an environment of darkness, despondency, criticism, and doom. May we be truly be light and life bearers!

Yolanda said...

Wise words and when we don't walk in them the world that is looking at us calls us hypocrites.

Lord, dim my light and increase YOURS.

Love to you, Miss Lisa!