Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Coincidence.., I think NOT!


I was reading today in Luke Chapter 1 where Mary was told by the angel Gabriel that she would give birth to a son. Now this was not going to be just any baby. This baby would be the Son of the Most High. Mary received this news by saying, "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said."

Let's think about this. She was an unmarried girl, probably around 13-14 years of age and the daughter of a Jewish father. She was betrothed to a honorable man by the name of Joseph. To be betrothed would be more likely compared to being married today, but without the physical intimacy.

Can you imagine what went through her mind the minute the angel left? Shocked and yet thrilled by the news. Excited to know that the Messiah was finally on His way. Scared to death about what might come next. Mortified to have to tell her father and mother; and then there was the small detail about telling her fiance Joseph.

And yet God had already provided for Mary. If you look back just a few verses to verse 36 you will see that right in the middle of the angel telling Mary the good new about the coming Savior, he mentioned her relative Elizabeth.
Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be barren is in her sixth month.
There are no coincidences in this life. God is always working and moving according to His purpose and in His time in each of our lives.

God knew that Mary would need a friend, a confidant, a righteous woman who would love on her and share her joy. Amazingly at the same time God was fulfilling the desperate longings of an old, barren, woman who was 3 months from seeing her faith become site. Elizabeth's child would be "like a voice crying out in the wilderness". He would be the one who the Prophets foretold would prepare the way for the Messiah to begin His earthly ministry. How cool is that!

I love what comes next. Verse 39 says,
At that time Mary got ready and hurried to a town in the hill country of Judea, where she entered Zechariah's home and greeted Elizabeth.
Don't you love that! The angel told Mary (no coincidence) and she immediately got ready and hurried to Elizabeth's home which was 50 to 70 miles away in the hill country of Judea. When she entered the house she greeted her relative and look what happened next.
When Elizabeth heard Mary's greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. In a loud voice she exclaimed: "Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished!"
Mary didn't even have to tell Elizabeth. The Holy Spirit revealed to this dear, righteous woman everything that she needed to know. Elizabeth knew that Mary was with child and not just any child. Mary would be the mother of our Lord.

Just like God was working in the lives of both Elizabeth and Mary, He is working in your life and mine. Do you realize the word "coincidence" is not found in the Bible? There's a reason for that (duh, I guess it's no coincidence that the word coincidence is not in the Bible).

My God is a God of purpose. My God is a God of order. My God is a God of perfect timing. I believe what He says, "all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

How about you? How is God working in your life?

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

God has been working in my life in ways I did not know were possible. I truly know what it feels like to be loved. He has given me peace and joy in my life that I never knew possible. I know that I have the power over the enemy.

Crown of Beauty said...

My God is a God of purpose. My God is a God of order. My God is a God of perfect timing. I believe what He says, "all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."

I love this, Lisa.

This is a timely post for me. I'm in my waiting season, and yet just within these past days, it seems that I'm getting divine connections, all orchestrated by God the Father. He is the God of the perfect timing as you put it. The God of the divine order.

Thank you for this post today!

LisaShaw said...

Awesome teaching Lisa.

There are too many things for me to list to be able to say how God is working in my life so I will say may I keep my heart surrendered unto Him for His glory at all times so that I am a willing vessel always.

Come on over to Sharing Life with Lisa I have a little something for you on today's post.

I love you.

Connie said...

I love the part where God had already provided The Way. HE does have the plan and purpose for all. Connie birwh